Regular Session - January 13, 2015
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Tuesday, January 13, 2015
NOTICE AND AGENDA- *REVISED
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund (Presentation)
- Recognition of Michael Bailey for his service as a Board member.
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: El Centro for the Study of Primary and Secondary Education, Esperanza Community Collegial Academy, Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., Legacy Education Group, Life Skills Center of Arizona, Inc., Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc.
- Review of Replication Applications recently considered and New Application Cycles recently completed.
- Information regarding On the Road to Better Accountability: An Analysis of State Charter School Policies
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Archway Classical Academy Arete - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy Chandler - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy Cicero - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy Glendale - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy North Phoenix - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy Scottsdale - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy Trivium - Decrease Instructional Days
- Archway Classical Academy Veritas - Decrease Instructional Days
- Arete Preparatory Academy - Decrease Instructional Days
- Arizona Language Preparatory - Increase Instructional Days
- Chandler Preparatory Academy - Decrease Instructional Days
- Cicero Preparatory Academy - Decrease Instructional Days
- EAGLE South Mountain Charter, Inc. (91938) - Change in legal status of the Charter Holder
- EAGLE South Mountain Charter, Inc. (91939) - Change in legal status of the Charter Holder
- Edkey, Inc. dba Pathfinder Academy - Increase Instructional Days
- Franklin Phonetic Primary School, Inc.(92596) - Decrease Instructional Days
- Legacy Traditional School- Maricopa- Procurement Laws & USFRCS Exceptions
- Maryvale Preparatory Academy - Decrease Instructional Days
- Nosotros- Increase in Grade Levels Served
- Skyline Schools, Inc.- Charter Mission and Program of Instruction
- Trivium Preparatory Academy - Decrease Instructional Days
- Veritas Preparatory Academy - Decrease Instructional Days
- Western School of Science and Technology, Inc. – Change in entity name & Procurement Laws Exception
- Consideration to approve the request for charter renewal and grant a renewal contract to Masada Charter School, Inc.
J. Consent Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the proposed Consent Agreements for the following charter holders that had previously failed to timely submit an annual audit reporting package and failed to submit the fiscal year 2014 annual audit reporting package:
K. Replication Applications – Discussion and possible action on the replication application package for Academy of Mathematics and Science, Inc. to replicate as Academy of Mathematics and Science, Inc. for the operation of Academy of Mathematics and Science Camelback.
L. Request to Expand Operations – Discussion and possible action on the request to expand the charter school operations of the following:
- Arizona Autism Charter Schools, Inc. – Request to add grades 6, 7, and 8 and to increase the enrollment cap from 99 to 108
- George Gervin Youth Center, Inc. – Request to add grades K through 5
- Pine Forest Education Association, Inc. – Request to increase the enrollment cap from 270 to 350
- Trivium Preparatory Academy – Request to increase the enrollment cap from 350 to 605
M. F Schools - The Board will receive information about the status of each charter holder assigned a 2014 letter grade of F by the Arizona Department of Education for the operation of one of its charter schools and take action on each of the charter holders listed below to either revoke the charter or restore the charter to acceptable performance in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-241.U.
- Blueprint Education, Inc.
- Compass High School, Inc.
- Edkey, Inc. dba Sequoia Ranch School
- Educational Impact, Inc.
- Ha:san Educational Services
- International Commerce Secondary Schools, Inc.
N. Surrender Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract for Esperanza Community Collegial Academy.
O. *Compliance Matters - The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the Charter Holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, state or local laws regarding their failure to meet or make sufficient progress toward the academic performance expectations set forth in the Academic Performance Framework in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(I)(3).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H), and/or issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
First Year Late
Second Consecutive Year Late
R. Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.