Welcome to the Public Comment Forum!
Through this forum, the charter community and other stakeholders have an opportunity to voice their position on a potential rule or policy and provide valuable information on how it may impact you and your community. Your feedback will assist the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools (Board) and improve its services to the charter community.
We appreciate you taking the time to participate in this forum and look forward to hearing from you.
Public Comment: Audit Matrix and Audit-Related Operational Framework Revisions
In 2003, the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools (“Board”) adopted its Audit & Compliance Questionnaire Follow-up Matrix (“Audit Matrix”) to guide Board staff’s review of the annual audits and Board staff’s follow-up with charter holders on issues identified through the audits. The Audit Matrix classifies issues identified through the audits into one of three categories – minimal impact findings, medium impact findings or serious impact findings. In October 2014, when the Board first adopted its Operational Performance Framework (“Operational Framework”), the Board included an appendix specific to the audit review and follow-up process (“Appendix B”).
To ensure consistency across all Board processes and continued improved performance of the Board’s portfolio, Board staff is proposing changes to the Operational Framework and Audit Matrix that include the following:
- No longer removing a first-time audit corrective action plan (“CAP”) from Measure 2a of a charter holder’s operational dashboard upon completion of the CAP [see page 12/34, page 21/34 and page 31/34].
- Reflecting minimal impact findings under Measure 2a of the charter holder’s operational dashboard after being identified in two consecutive audits instead of three or more consecutive audits [see page 12/34, page 21/34 and Page 32/34].
- Recording minimal impact findings, medium impact findings or serious impact findings on only one measure on the operational performance dashboard [see Appendix B beginning on page 25/34].
- Modifying the circumstances under which a CAP is required for Open Meeting Law noncompliance [see page 30/34].
- Reflecting certain first-time minimal impact findings on a charter holder’s operational dashboard [see page 32/34].
- Considering a minimal impact finding identified in three consecutive audits a medium impact finding, which would subject a charter holder to certain requirements, including the submission of a CAP [see page 30/34 and page 32/34].
- Expanding the Audit Matrix’s medium impact finding criteria to include repeated minimal impact findings as identified in Appendix B of the Board’s Operational Framework [see page 33/34].
Board staff anticipates the Board will implement the change identified under the third bullet (see above) with the fiscal year 2021 audits with the remaining changes implemented beginning with the fiscal year 2022 audits.
You may access the proposed changes to the Audit Matrix and Operational Framework here.
POSTING PERIOD: June 3, 2021 – June 23, 2021
Please submit your feedback in writing to the Board during the posting period using one of the following options:
- Written comments may be emailed to [email protected].
- Written comments may be mailed to the Arizona State Board for Charter Schools, P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, AZ 85005.
- Written comments may be delivered to the Board office located at 1616 W. Adams St., Suite 170, Phoenix, AZ 85007.
For all responses, please provide the following information:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Mailing address (optional)
- Organization (optional)
All public comment received by June 23, 2021 will be presented to the Board and members of the public will have an additional opportunity to provide comment to the Board at the meeting during which the Board considers the proposed changes to the Audit Matrix and Operational Framework.