Regular Session - May 13, 2013
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund
F. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
G. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., John Hancock Academy, Inc., Omega Schools, Inc., New Destiny Leadership Charter School, Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
- NACSA Fellow Update
- El Centro for the Study of Primary and Secondary Education and Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc. – update on options for consideration by Board regarding failure to timely submit annual financial audit packages.
H. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests.
- Candeo Schools, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels to Charter Amendment Request
- Daisy Education Corporation dba Sonoran Science Academy – Ahwatukee - Charter Mission Amendment Request
- Daisy Education Corporation dba Sonoran Science Academy – Phoenix- Charter Mission Amendment Request
- Founding Fathers Academies, Inc. - Instructional Days Amendment Request
- Institute for Transformative Education- USFRCS Exception Amendment Request
- New World Educational Center – Charter Mission Amendment Request
- The Paideia Academies, Inc.- Procurement Laws Exception Amendment Request
- Sonoran Science Academy – Broadway - Charter Mission Amendment Request
- Sonoran Science Academy – Davis Monthan - Charter Mission Amendment Request
- Sonoran Science Academy – Phoenix Metro- Charter Mission Amendment Request
I. Charter Amendments – Discussion and possible action on the following expansion amendments for requested by Charter Holders that do not have an Academic Performance Dashboard.
- Empower College Prep – Adding Grade Levels Amendment Request
- The Paideia Academies, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels Amendment Request
J. Charter Replication Application – Discussion and possible action on the replication application and request for a charter submitted for Ball Charter Schools (Hearn) to operate Ball Charter Schools (Westside).
K. The Board will receive information and take action to either revoke the charter of Allsport Academy or to restore the charter to acceptable performance in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-241.U. The Board was notified by the Arizona Department of Education that the charter school operated by Allsport Academy has been assigned a letter grade of F.
L. Charter Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action on the renewal applications for the following:
- Accelerated Learning Charter School, Inc.
- Carden of Tucson, Inc.
- Fit Kids, Inc.
- Liberty Traditional Charter School
- Maricopa County Community College District on behalf of Phoenix Preparatory Academy
- Southgate Academy, Inc.
M. Transfer Application – Discussion and possible action on the following applications to transfer one or more school sites currently operated by a charter holder to a separate charter.
1. Espiritu Community Development Corp. to transfer Esperanza Montessori Academy and Reyes Maria Ruiz Leadership Academy to a single school, Reyes Maria Ruiz Leadership Academy
2. Legacy Traditional Charter School to transfer Legacy Traditional Charter School – Casa Grande
N. Replication Application – Discussion possible action on proposed changes to the existing Replication Application.
O. Audit Guidelines, Legal Compliance Questionnaire, USFRCS Compliance Questionnaire, and Procurement Compliance Questionnaire for 2013 – Discussion and possible action on the revised Audit Guidelines, Legal Compliance Questionnaire, USFRCS Compliance Questionnaire, and Procurement Compliance Questionnaire for 2013.
- Staff Report
- Audit Guidelines
- Legal Compliance Questionnaire
- USFRCS Compliance Questionnaire
- Procurement Compliance Questionnaire
P. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.