Regular Session - July 8, 2013
D. Call to the Public –This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
F. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action: Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Allsport Academy, Esperanza Community Collegial Academy, John Hancock Academy, Inc., New Destiny Leadership Charter School, Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
G. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- DCS Partners, Inc. – Charter Holder Status
- EDUPRIZE SCHOOLS, LLC - Adding Grade Levels
- The Charter Foundation, Inc. – Instructional Days
- Tucson Collegiate Prep, Inc. – Procurement Laws & USFRCS Exception
H. Charter Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action on the renewal applications for the following:
I. Charter Amendments and Notifications – Discussion and possible action on the following amendments and notifications requested by Charter Holders that do not meet the Board’s academic performance expectations and/or have other compliance matters to be considered.
- American Leadership Academy, Inc. – Adding a Site and Increase in Enrollment Cap
- EAGLE College Prep II, Inc. - Adding Grade Levels
- International Charter School of Arizona, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba Havasu Preparatory Academy – Adding Grade Levels
- La Tierra Community School, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels and Increase in Enrollment Cap
- Sequoia Choice Schools, LLLP – Charter Holder Status
- The Odyssey Preparatory Academy, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels and Increase in Enrollment Cap
J. Good Cause Extension – Discussion and possible action on the request for a Good Cause Extension for Franklin Phonetic Primary School, Inc.
K. Compliance Matters – The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Shonto Governing Board of Education, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract or federal, state, or local laws regarding failure to comply with financial record retention requirements, failure to comply with Navajo Nation non-profit and federal 501(c)(3) filing requirements, failure to follow standard internal control procedures, and failure to submit to the Board the required documentation to change its charter representative.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H).
L. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.