Regular Session - October 15, 2013
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
D. Call to the Public– This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund
F. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
G. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action:
1. Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Allsport Academy and Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
2. Performance Audit and Sunset Review Update
H. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Archway Classical Academy Glendale - Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exceptions
- Ball Charter Schools (Val Vista) - USFRCS Exception
- BASIS School, Inc. (BASIS Tucson South) – Adding Grade Levels to Charter Amendment Request
- EDUPRIZE SCHOOLS, LLC – Arizona Online Instruction Program of Instruction Amendment Request
- Hirsch Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy, Inc.- Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exceptions
- Partnership with Parents, Inc. - USFRCS Exception
I. Charter Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action on the renewal application package for the following:
J. Surrender Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the Consent Agreement for the Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract of Leona Advanced Virtual Academy.
K. Financial Performance Framework –
- Discussion of the Board’s inclusion of the Financial Performance Framework in compliance discussions with outside entities including lenders and rating agencies.
- Presentation, discussion and possible action to change the Unrestricted Days Cash measure in the Board’s Financial Performance Framework and Guidance to an “Unrestricted Days Liquidity” measure that considers a charter holder’s unrestricted cash and available balances from other sources of liquidity disclosed in the audit, including lines of credit.
L. Proposed Rulemaking –
1. Presentation and discussion of the Board’s administrative rules and plans for rulemaking to revise rules to comport with current practices and policies.
2. Presentation, discussion and consideration of the initiation of proposed rulemaking regarding the new charter application and chartering process.
M. Revisions to Amendment and Notification Requests– Discussion and possible action on the proposed changes to the following Amendment and Notification Requests:
1. Enrollment Cap Notification Request
2. New School Site Notification Request
3. Site Specific Change in Grades Served Notification Request
4. Alternative Calendar Notification Request
5. Instructional Days Amendment Request
6. Program of Instruction Amendment Request
N. Compliance Matters – The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Omega Schools, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract or federal, state, or local laws regarding failure to comply with financial record retention requirements, failure to comply with the Uniform System of Financial Records for Charter Schools, failure to comply with student attendance record retention requirements, failure to comply with state unemployment requirements, and failure to submit to the Board the required documentation to change its charter representative.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a correction action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H).
O. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.