Regular Session - June 10, 2013 - Revised
NOTICE AND AGENDA- REVISED*
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund
F. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
G. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Allsport Academy, Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., John Hancock Academy, Inc., New Destiny Leadership Charter School, Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
- Update on the use of the Academic Performance Framework in the oversight of charters.
H. Consent Agenda- All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Educational Options Foundation - Charter Mission
- E-Institute Charter School, Inc. - Charter Mission
- Legacy Traditional School- Gilbert - Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exception
- Morrison Education Group, Inc.- Adding Grade Levels
- Ombudsman Educational Services, Ltd (07856300) - Decreasing Grade Levels
- Park View School, Inc. - Adding Grade Levels
- The Paideia Academies, Inc. - Charter Mission
I. *Charter Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action on the renewal applications for the following:
- Discussion and possible action on the renewal applications for the following:
- Discussion and possible action on the renewal application and program of instruction amendment request for New World Educational Center.
J. Transfer Application – Discussion and possible action on the transfer application for the following:
1. Sequoia Pathway Academy as a school under the charter of Edkey Inc. dba Sequoia Ranch School to operate as a school under a separate Edkey, Inc. charter.
2. Transfer of the Partnership with Parents, Inc. charter from the sponsorship of the State Board of Education to the State Board for Charter Schools.
K. Surrender Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the Consent Agreement for the Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract for Wildcat Secondary School.
L. Compliance Matters
- Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc. – Discussion and consideration of whether to issue a notice of intent to revoke charter for failing to comply with the terms of an existing settlement agreement or approve an amendment to the existing settlement agreement.
- El Centro for the Study of Primary and Secondary Education, Inc. – Discussion and consideration of whether to issue a notice of intent to revoke charter for failing to comply with the terms of an existing settlement agreement or approve an amendment to the existing settlement agreement.
- Performance Framework, Monitoring and Oversight – The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the following charters are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract or state law regarding their failure to meet or make sufficient progress toward the academic performance expectations set forth in the performance framework in accordance with A.R.S. §15-183(I).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H) and/or issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
a) Academic Performance Interventions –Submission of Performance Management Plan required as part of Five Year Interval Review
- Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc.
b) *Academic Performance Interventions – Subsequent to the submission of a Performance Management Plan
- Esperanza Community Collegial Academy
- Excalibur Charter School, Inc.
- E-Institute Charter School, Inc.
- GAR, LLC
- Kestrel Schools, Incorporated
- Premier Charter High School
- The Shelby School
c) Annual Report Requirement – Specified in renewal contract
- DCS Partners, Inc.
- Intelli-School, Inc.
- Mingus Springs Charter School, Inc.
- Victory High School, Inc.
M. Charter Renewal – Discussion and possible action regarding the request by Mountain Oak School, Inc. to accept the untimely submitted application for renewal of its charter.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) the Board may vote to go into Executive Session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board's attorney(s) on this matter.
N. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.