Regular Session - September 9, 2019
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Monday, September 9, 2019
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *REVISED
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update - Update on upcoming events by Jake Logan, President/CEO
- Arizona Alternative Education Consortium - Presentation on Advocating for Appropriate Alternative School Accountability by Kellie Burns, President
- Arizona State Board of Education - Presentation on the 5-Year State Assessment Plan by Catcher Baden, Deputy Director
- Arizona Department of Education - Presentation on A-F Letter Grades by Wendy Davy, Chief Accountability Officer
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on recommendations made for the academic performance eligibility criteria for expansions
- *Staffing Changes
- Call to the Public This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve expansion amendment requests from the following charter holders that have received a staff recommendation:
- Consideration to approve the proposed Settlement Agreement with Vision Charter School, Inc.
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on amendment request from The Paideia Academies, Inc. for a New School, Grade Level Increase, and Enrollment Cap Increase:
- Replication Application - Discussion and possible action on the replication application package from Legacy Traditional School - Avondale:
- Rubric for Initial Financial Response - Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the proposed rubric that Board staff will use to review the initial financial response submitted by a charter holder that receives an “Intervention” summative financial performance rating under the Board’s new financial performance framework.
- ASBCS Online Updates - Presentation, discussion and possible action on recent updates to ASBCS Online to implement the new financial performance dashboard and to make the academic, financial and operational performance of the Board’s portfolio more accessible.
- Compliance Matters - The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- Espiritu Community Development Corp. (Entity ID: 4335)
- Franklin Phonetic Primary School, Inc. (Entity ID: 4495)
- George Gervin Youth Center, Inc.
- Lifelong Learning Research Institute, Inc. (Entity ID: 79926)
- Lifelong Learning Research Institute, Inc. (Entity ID: 90754)
- Montessori House, Inc. d.b.a. Lehi Montessori
- Victory High School, Inc.
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.