Regular Session - September 10, 2018
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Monday, September 10, 2018
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education
- Arizona Charter Schools Association – Presentation on Association Research by Ildiko Laczko-Kerr, Chief Academic Officer
- Arizona Alternative Education Consortium – Presentation on Student Success through Alternative Paths by Cybill Jacob, Principal of Peoria Flex Academy (PFA), Alexis Smith and Noah Nacinovich, PFA students
- A for Arizona – Presentation and update by Becky Hill, Director of Policy and Research for the Arizona Chamber Foundation
- Black Mothers Forum, Inc. – Presentation on the Black Mothers Forum by Janelle Wood, Founder
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Executive Director signing authority during leave
- HB2065 Meeting Minutes and Recording of Votes
- Update on the Financial Framework Subcommittee
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Charter Termination Agreement for the following:
- Consideration to approve the Program of Instruction amendment request to use methods of instruction consistent with a Dropout Recovery Program for Genesis Program, Inc.
- Consideration to approve a Change in Legal Status for Benjamin Franklin Charter School, LTD.
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on the enrollment cap amendment request from Leman Academy of Excellence, Inc.
- 2019 Board Meeting Calendar – Discussion and possible action on the Board’s calendar of meetings for 2019.
- Procedures for Rule and Policy Adoption – Discussion and possible action on the process through which the Board will adopt rules and polices for itself and the schools it sponsors.
- Compliance Matters –
1. The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Desert Star Academy, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract, federal, state, or local laws for its failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include entering into a consent agreement or issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
2. The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Pointe Educational Services is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract, federal, state, or local laws for its failure to administer the AIMS Science assessment in Spring 2018. Part 1 Part 2
If the Board determines that a breach occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include entering into a consent agreement or issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.