Regular Session - May 18, 2015
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, May 18, 2015
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
D. Call to the Public- This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Founding Fathers Academies, Inc. and Harvest Power Community Development Group, Inc.
- Recognition of Mark Anderson, Cassandra Larsen and Todd Juhl for their service as Board members
- Board meeting location
- Upcoming study session
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Blue Adobe Project - Adding grades levels
- Challenge Foundation Academies of Arizona, Inc. - Change in entity name
- Desert Springs Academy, Inc. - Decreasing grade levels
- Ha:san Educational Services – Change in charter mission
- Imagine Elementary at Tempe, Inc. - Decreasing grade levels
- Maryvale Preparatory Academy - Decreasing instructional days
- Sonoran Desert School - Decreasing instructional days
- Consideration to approve the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract for Accelerated Learning Charter School, Inc.
- Consideration to approve the request for charter renewal and grant a renewal contract to Harvest Power Community Development Group, Inc.
I. Consent Agreement Template – Discussion and possible action to allow amendment to the terms in the Consent Agreement Template proposed for use in restoring a charter to acceptable performance. Part 1 , Part 2 and Part 3
J. Charter Renewal – Discussion and possible action on the renewal application package for the following:
- West Gilbert Charter Elementary School, Inc.
- Pan-American Elementary Charter School
- Montessori House, Inc.
- The Griffin Foundation, Inc.
- Deer Valley Charter School, Inc.
- Omega Alpha Academy
K. Charter Amendment and Notification
- Discussion and possible action on the Enrollment Cap Increase Request for Trivium Preparatory Academy, a charter holder that does not meet the Board’s academic performance expectations.
- Discussion and possible action on the Adding Grade Levels Requests submitted by the following charter holders that do not meet the Board’s academic performance expectations:
L. Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) the Board may vote to go into Executive Session, which will not be open to the public, for legal advice concerning this matter.