Regular Session - February 10, 2020
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Monday, February 10, 2020
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *REVISED
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on Arts Academy of Scottsdale
- Update to the complaint process
F. Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
G. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Discussion and possible action on proposed revisions to the Letter Grade consent agreement used in the procedural steps for restoring or revoking charters that operate charter schools that have been assigned an FY 2019 letter grade of “F” by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Charter Amendments - Discussion and possible action on amendment requests from the following charter holders:
G.2.b.iv.1. Anthem Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.2. Archway Classical Academy Arete
G.2.b.iv.3. Archway Classical Academy Chandler
G.2.b.iv.4. Archway Classical Academy Cicero
G.2.b.iv.5. Archway Classical Academy Glendale
G.2.b.iv.6. Archway Classical Academy Lincoln
G.2.b.iv.7. Archway Classical Academy North Phoenix
G.2.b.iv.8. Archway Classical Academy Scottsdale
G.2.b.iv.9. Archway Classical Academy Trivium East
G.2.b.iv.10. Archway Classical Academy Trivium West
G.2.b.iv.11. Archway Classical Academy Veritas
G.2.b.iv.12. Arete Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.13. Chandler Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.14.Cicero Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.15. Glendale Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.16. Lincoln Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.17. Maryvale Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.18. North Phoenix Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.19. Scottsdale Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.20. Trivium Preparatory Academy
G.2.b.iv.21. Veritas Preparatory Academy
H. Charter Amendments - Discussion and possible action on amendment requests from the following charter holder:
- BASIS Charter Schools, Inc. (Entity ID 549803) - Adding Grade Levels and Enrollment Cap Increase
- Edkey, Inc. dba Sequoia Choice Schools - School Specific Change in Grades and School Location
I. Compliance Matters
- Consideration to approve the proposed Consent Agreement for Victory High School, Inc. based on the charter holder not meeting the Board’s operational performance expectations and as discussed at the September 9, 2019 meeting.
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Lifelong Learning Research Institute, Inc. (Entity ID: 79926) is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding its failure to comply with requirements identified by the Arizona Department of Education and issues identified by the Board. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.A.C. R7-5-601(D).
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that North Star High School, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding its failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
J. New Charter Application for 2021-2022 - Discussion and consideration of modifications to the New Charter Application for the 2021-2022 application cycle.
K. Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.