Regular Session - May 9, 2016
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, May 9, 2016
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update on Charter School Enrollment Trends– Eileen Sigmund, President and CEO
- Arizona Alternative Education Consortium Update – Binky Michele Jones, President
- Presentation by A for Arizona ‘A’ School Leaders about Presidio School– Mark Saliba, School Leader
- Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
- Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Founding Fathers Academies, Inc.; El Centro for the Study of Primary and Secondary Education; and Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc
- Update on Academic Framework Subcommittee
- Consent Agenda – All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve the request for charter renewal and grant a renewal contract to the following:
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Academy of Mathematics and Science, Inc. (92768) - Procurement Laws & USFRCS Exceptions
- Ahwatukee Foothills Prep Early College High School, Inc. - Adding Grade Levels
- Collaborative Pathways, Inc. - Procurement Laws Exception
- Edkey, Inc. dba Sequoia Village School – Adding Grade Levels
- Happy Valley School, Inc. (90906) - Change in entity name
- Charter Renewal – Discussion and possible action on the renewal application package for the following Charter Holders:
- Arizona Connections Academy Charter School
- Bell Canyon Charter School, Inc.
- CAFA, Inc. (79971)
- CAFA, Inc. (90327)
- CAFA, Inc. (90328)
- Cortez Park Charter Middle School, Inc.
- Edkey, Inc. dba Arizona Conservatory for Arts and Academics
- LEAD Charter Schools
- PAS Charter, Inc.
- Pima Prevention Partnership (79959)
- Tucson International Academy, Inc.
- Valley of the Sun Waldorf Education Association, Inc.
- Compliance Matters – The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the Charter Holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the timeframes established for the timely submission of the annual financial single audit in accordance with A.R.S. §15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H).
- Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc.
- StarShine Academy
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.