Regular Session - June 12, 2017
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
NEW MEETING LOCATION:
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Monday, June 12, 2017
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Update on A-F State Accountability
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on current events and activities
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update - Presentation by Ildi Laczko-Kerr
- Arizona Alternative Education Consortium - Presentation by Amy Schlessman
- A for Arizona - Presentation on Pioneer Preparatory: a Challenge Foundation Academy by Jarret Sharp, Director
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Consideration to approve the Enrollment Cap increase amendment request that has received a staff recommendation for Arizona Autism Charter Schools, Inc.
- Consideration to approve the Program of Instruction amendment requests to use methods of instruction consistent with a Dropout Recovery Program for the following:
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Alta Vista High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Apache Trail High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Crestview College Preparatory High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Desert Hills High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Estrella High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Peoria Accelerated High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. South Pointe High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. Sun Valley High School
- American Charter Schools Foundation d.b.a. West Phoenix High School
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba El Dorado High School
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba Maya High School
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba Skyview High School
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba Summit High School
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba Tempe Accelerated High School
- Consideration to approve the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Charter Termination Agreement for PS Charter Schools, Inc.
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on the expansion amendment requests from the following charter holders:
- EAGLE College Prep Maryvale, LLC. - Increase enrollment cap
- Educational Impact, Inc. - Grade level change
- Empower College Prep - Increase enrollment cap
- Imagine Prep Superstition, Inc. - Increase enrollment cap
- Legacy Traditional School - Surprise - Increase enrollment cap
- Prescott Valley Charter School - Increase enrollment cap
- Charter Renewal -
- Discussion and possible action on the renewal application packages for the following charter holders:
- Discussion and possible action on the renewal application package for Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc. The Board will also receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract regarding its failure to request approval from the Board to amend its charter to make changes to its school governing body. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid.
- Compliance Check Policy - Discussion and possible action on the proposed revisions to the Conducting Compliance Checks Policy Statement.
- Revisions to Current Policies - Discussion and possible action on the proposed changes to the following policy statements:
- Board Notification of Six-Months Non-Compliance
- Eligibility to Apply for Early Renewal of a Charter Contract
- Good Cause Extension to Execute a New Charter
- Good Cause Suspension of a New Charter
- Technical Review Panel
- Revisions to the Amendment Process - Discussion and possible action on the proposed changes to the following:
- Identifying additional amendments that may be signed by the Executive Director
- Charter Holder Governance Request
- Charter Representative Request
- Academic Eligibility for Expansion Requests in FY 2018
- Audit Guidelines and Compliance Questionnaires for 2017 - Discussion and possible action on the revised Audit Guidelines, Legal Compliance Questionnaire, USFRCS Compliance Questionnaire, and Procurement Compliance Questionnaire for 2017.
- Discussion and possible action regarding John Doe, et al. vs. Heritage Academy, Inc. et al. (CV16-03001-PHX-SPL). Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item or for discussion or consultation with the Board’s attorneys in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the Board’s position in pending or contemplated litigation or in settlement discussions conducted in order to avoid or resolve litigation.
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.