Regular Session - June 13, 2016
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, June 13, 2016
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update on Association Advocacy and Legislative Wrap-Up – Eileen Sigmund, President and CEO
G. Presentation by A for Arizona ‘A’ School Leaders about South Ridge High School – Melissa Rivers, School Leader
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc.; Founding Fathers Academies, Inc.; El Centro for the Study of Primary and Secondary Education; Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc.; StarShine Academy
- Consideration to approve the request for charter renewal and grant a renewal contract to Midtown Primary School
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
a. Arizona School for the Arts – Charter Mission
b. CASA Academy – Instructional Days
c. North Star Charter School, Inc. – Program of Instruction
d. STEP UP Schools, Inc. – Instructional Days
e. Pima Prevention Partnership (89864) – Adding Grade Levels
f. Tempe Preparatory Academy – Adding Grade Levels
g. Tucson Youth Development – Program of Instruction
K. Charter Renewal – Discussion and possible action on the renewal application package for the following Charter Holders:
- CPLC Community Schools (80032)
- Heritage Elementary School
- Life Skills Center of Arizona, Inc.
- Montessori Academy, Inc.
L. Charter Amendment and Notification – Discussion and possible action on the charter amendment and notification requests submitted by the following charter holders that do not meet the Board’s academic performance expectations:
- American Leadership Academy, Inc. – New School Site and Enrollment Cap Increase
- Arizona Autism Charter Schools, Inc. – New School Site and Enrollment Cap Increase
- Camino Montessori – Adding Grade Levels and Enrollment Cap Increase
- Desert Star Academy, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels and Enrollment Cap Increase
- GAR, LLC – Enrollment Cap Increase
- Maricopa County Community College District on behalf of Phoenix Preparatory Academy – Enrollment Cap Increase
- Pine Forest Education Association, Inc. – Enrollment Cap Increase
- Rising Schools, Inc. – Adding Grade Levels
- The Odyssey Preparatory Academy, Inc. – Enrollment Cap Increase
M. Surrender Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract for Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc.
N. Proposed Rulemaking – Discussion and possible action regarding the Board’s administrative rules and status of rulemaking to revise rules to comport with current policies and practices.
O. Academic Performance Framework – Discussion and possible action regarding revisions to the Board’s Academic Performance Framework and Guidance document.
P. Financial Performance Framework – Presentation and discussion, including an overview of the Board’s financial performance framework and the financial performance of the Board’s portfolio of charter holders, and discussion and possible action regarding revisions to the Board’s Financial Performance Framework and Guidance document.
Q. Audit Guidelines and Compliance Questionnaires for 2016 – Discussion and possible action on the revised Audit Guidelines, Legal Compliance Questionnaire, USFRCS Compliance Questionnaire, and Procurement Compliance Questionnaire for 2016.
R. Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.