Regular Session - February 9, 2015
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, February 9, 2015
NOTICE AND AGENDA- REVISED*
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Blueprint Education, Inc., Compass High School, Inc., Edkey, Inc. dba Sequoia Ranch School, Educational Impact, Inc., Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., Ha:san Educational Services, Tucson International Academy, Inc.
- Report on first reviews of charter holders approved for Conditional Renewal
- Report on the status of the consent agreements developed for the restoration of schools assigned a letter grade of F
H. Consent Agenda – All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Archway Classical Academy Goodyear- Change in entity name
- Archway Classical Academy South Gilbert- Change in entity name
- Archway Classical Academy Trivium- Change in entity name
- Center for Creative Education, Inc.- Adding grade levels
- Glendale Preparatory Academy- Decrease in instructional days
- James Sandoval Preparatory High School- Change in charter mission
- Pima Prevention Partnership (79959)- Change in charter mission
- South Gilbert Preparatory Academy- Change in entity name
I. *International Charter School of Arizona, Inc. and Hillcrest Academy, Inc. – Discussion and possible action on the proposed agreement for the consolidation of International Charter School of Arizona, Inc. and Hillcrest Academy, Inc. The Board may also receive information to determine whether evidence exists that International Charter School of Arizona, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract, state or local laws for failure to provide a comprehensive program of instruction for the requisite number of days and/or hours during FY2015. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may issue a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
J. Charter Amendment and Notification – Discussion and possible action on the expansion requests to add grade levels and increase its enrollment cap made by The Odyssey Preparatory Academy, Inc., a charter holder that does not meet the Board’s academic performance expectations.
L. Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.