Regular Session - February 12, 2018
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
NEW MEETING LOCATION:
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Monday, February 12, 2018
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Introduction of New Board Member
- Update on requests approved by the Executive Director
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Call to the Public This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date. Part 1 Part 2
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update - Presentation on 2017 Annual Report by Eileen Sigmund
- Arizona Alternative Education Consortium - Presentation on the Arizona Department of Education’s Zip Code Project by Johnson Bia and Christopher Dickinson
- A for Arizona - Presentation on Self Development Academy by Sami Majeed, Director of Program Development
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education
- Charter Amendment – Discussion and possible action on the expansion amendment requests from the following charter holders:
- Arizona Montessori Charter School at Anthem – Grade level change and increase enrollment cap
- Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy, Inc. – Grade level change and increase enrollment cap
- Scottsdale Country Day School – School specific grade change and increase enrollment cap
- Charter Renewal – Discussion and possible action on the renewal application for City Center Collaborative Learning
- Revisions to the Amendment Process - Discussion and possible action on the proposed changes to the following:
- Charter Holder Status Request
- Staff recommendation criteria used for expansion amendment requests
- *Compliance Matters - Discussion and possible action
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc. is in noncompliance with its charter contract for failure to provide educational services to students.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
- *The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Desert Star Academy, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding its failure to timely deposit its employees’ 401k retirement savings plan contributions deducted from their pay in accordance with ERISA.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-185(H).
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.