Regular Session - December 9, 2013
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund
F. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
G. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Allsport Academy, Arizona Academy of Science & Technology, Carden of Tucson, Hillcrest Academy, Inc., International Charter School of Arizona, Inc., Legacy Education Group, Legacy Schools, Life Skills Center of Arizona, Inc., Omega Schools, Inc., Shonto Governing Board of Education, Inc., and Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
- Update on 2014 new application cycle
- Update on the status of the Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy ongoing litigation matter discussed at the November Board meeting
H. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve Procurement Laws Exception amendment request for the Institute for Transformative Education.
I. Charter Replication Applications – Discussion and possible action on the replication applications and request for a charter submitted for the following:
- Heritage Academy Laveen, Inc. for the operation of Heritage Academy Laveen
- Heritage Academy Queen Creek, Inc. for the operation of Heritage Academy Queen Creek
J. Charter Amendment and Notification – Discussion and possible action on the reconsideration of the requests submitted by American Leadership Academy to Add a Site and Increase its Enrollment Cap.
K. F Schools - The Board will receive information and take action on each of the charter holders listed below to either revoke the charter or restore the charter to acceptable performance in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-241.U. The Board was notified by the Arizona Department of Education that a charter school operated by each charter holder has been assigned a letter grade of F.
L. Proposed Policy Changes – Discussion and possible action on the following:
- Proposed changes to the Good Cause Extension of a Charter Contract Policy to align with draft rules
- Proposed changes to the Temporary Suspension of Charter School Operations Policy to align with draft rules
M. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.