Regular Session - August 12, 2013 - Revised
NOTICE AND AGENDA - REVISED*
A. Pledge of Allegiance
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund
F. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
G. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Allsport Academy, John Hancock Academy, Inc., New Destiny Leadership Charter School, Shonto Governing Board of Education, Inc., Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
- Update on the automation of the academic dashboards
- Update on the 2014-2015 New Application Cycle
- Update on the implementation of the Financial Performance Framework and possible changes for future consideration
- Recognition of Service – Ruby Alvarado Hernandez
H. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Academy of Mathematics and Science South, Inc. – Increase in Instructional Days
- Arizona School for Integrated Academics and Technologies, Inc. – Decrease in Instructional Days
- Ball Charter Schools (Val Vista) – Procurement Laws Exception
- Legacy Traditional Charter School ( Casa Grande) – Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exception
- Partnership with Parents, Inc. – Procurement Laws Exception
- Phoenix Collegiate Academy, Inc. – Adding Grade Level
- Vista College Preparatory, Inc. – Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exception
I. Charter Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action on the renewal application for Academy of Tucson.
J. *Charter Amendments and Notifications – Discussion and possible action on the following amendments and notifications requested by Charter Holders that do not meet the Board’s academic performance expectations and/or have other compliance matters to be considered.
1. Sage Academy, Inc. - Adding a Site
2. American Leadership Academy - Adding a Site and Increase in Enrollment Cap
K. Settlement Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the Settlement Agreement for Renewal of the Charter Contract for New World Educational Center.
L. Consent Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the Consent Agreement for the Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract for Sunnyside Charter and Montessori School.
M. *Academic Performance Framework – Presentation, discussion and possible action on changes to the Board’s Academic Performance Framework and Guidance document including the method of pooling data for small schools and the Academic Performance Interventions (Appendix C).
N. Grade Level Expansion Amendment Request – Discussion and possible action on the proposed changes to the Grade Level Expansion Amendment Request.
O. Site Visits & Reviews Policy Statement – Discussion and possible action on proposed changes to the Board’s Site Visits & Reviews Policy Statement.
P. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.