Regular Session - December 12, 2016
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, December 12, 2016
NOTICE AND AGENDA- *REVISED
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Moment of Silence
C. Roll Call
D. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
E. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update on Charters Changing Lives and its 2017 Legislative Agenda – Eileen Sigmund, President and CEO
F. Arizona Alternative Education Consortium – Presentation on Advocating, Educating, & Collaborating Benefits Alternative Education Students – Binky Michele Jones and Dr. Amy Schlessman
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc., Flagstaff Montessori, L.L.C., Florence Crittenton Youth Services of Arizona, Inc., Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., Global Renaissance Academy of Distinguished Education, Graysmark Schools Corporation, Hillcrest Academy, Inc., PS Charter Schools, Inc., StarShine Academy, StrengthBuilding StrengthBuilding Partners
- *Update on Rulemaking
- *Board’s 2017 Legislative Agenda
- *2018-2019 New Charter Application Subcommittee
Pursuant to A.R.S. 38-431.03(A)(1), the Board may vote to go into Executive Session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consideration of employment and personnel matters for this agenda item.
1. The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Shonto Governing Board of Education, Inc. is in noncompliance with state law and its charter contract for its failure to establish and maintain proper internal controls for the self-insurance fund and self-insurance fund bank account in the manner prescribed by the Uniform System of Financial Records for Arizona Charter Schools.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-185(H) and/or issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
L. Audit Status Update – Discussion and possible action on the status of the fiscal year 2016 audit reporting packages for the following charter holders:
- Ahwatukee Foothills Prep Early College High School, Inc.
- Career Development, Incorporated
- Phoenix Advantage Charter School, Inc.
M. New Charter School Application — Discussion and possible action on the application package and request for a charter for Synergy Public School, an applicant whose application package met the Board’s scoring criteria. Interview Recording
N. *New Charter School Applications — Discussion and possible action on the application package and request for a charter for Victory Collegiate Academy Corporation, an applicant whose application package does not meet the Board’s scoring criteria but who requested that their application package be forwarded to the Board for consideration. Interview Recording
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item or for discussion or consultation with the Board’s attorneys in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the Board’s position in pending or contemplated litigation.
P. Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.