Regular Session - September 12, 2016
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, September 12, 2016
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Call to the Public- This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update on its open house, advocacy, and Charters Changing Lives - Eileen Sigmund, President and CEO
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Consideration to approve the voluntary surrender agreement for the Camp Verde Unified School District
- Presentation by A for Arizona ‘A’ School Leader Dr. Gregory McFann, Sonoran Schools’ Chief Academic Officer, about Sonoran Science Academy - Broadway and Sonoran Science Academy - Peoria
- Charter Amendment and Notification - Discussion and possible action on the charter amendment and notification requests submitted by the following charter holders:
- Eastpointe High School, Inc. - Enrollment Cap Increase
- Pinnacle Education - WMCB, Inc. - Arizona Online Instruction Program of Instruction
- Replication Applications - Discussion and possible action on the replication application packages for AIBT Non-Profit Charter High School, Inc. (79053) to replicate as:
- Discussion and possible action regarding termination of ongoing heightened monitoring of the following charter holders that demonstrated limited systems in FY 2015:
- Academy Del Sol, Inc.
- Akimel O'Otham Pee Posh Charter School, Inc. (78966)
- Arizona Community Development Corporation
- GAR, LLC
- Intelli-School, Inc.
- StarShine Academy
- Compliance Matters - The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Hillcrest Academy, Inc. is in noncompliance with its charter contract for failure to provide educational services to students, its receipt and failure to return State funds to which it was not entitled, and its failure to retain student records as prescribed by the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records Division of the Arizona State Secretary of State’s office.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
- Proposed Revisions to Amendment Requests - Discussion and possible action regarding substantive changes to amendment requests
- Proposed Revisions to the Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action regarding substantive and technical revisions to the Renewal Application
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.