Regular Session - November 13, 2018
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education
- Arizona Charter Schools Association - Presentation on Transparency Recommendation Feedback and Association’s Communications Plan by Eileen Sigmund, President/CEO
- A for Arizona - Presentation on Reyes Maria Ruiz Leadership Academy by Adam Sharp, School Leader
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on the Financial Framework Subcommittee
- Enrollment cap update
- Call to the Public This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Charter Termination Agreement for Graysmark Schools Corporation
- Consideration to approve an enrollment cap increase for Academy of Mathematics and Science, Inc. (79961), a charter holder that has met the staff recommendation criteria.
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on the charter representative and two charter holder governance amendment requests from PLC Arts Academy at Scottsdale, Inc.
- Schools with an “F” Letter Grade - Discussion and possible action on proposed revisions to the Consent Agreement used in the procedural steps for restoring or revoking charters that operate charter schools that have been assigned an FY 2018 letter grade of “F” by the Arizona Department of Education.
- Compliance Matters -
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Desert Springs Academy, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to appropriately request approval from the Board to amend its charter to make changes to its corporate board.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-185(H).
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to timely submit the annual financial report in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-185(H).
- Center for Creative Education, Inc.
- Friendly House, Inc.
- P.L.C. Charter Schools
- *Pointe Educational Services - Discussion and possible action on a proposed Settlement Agreement for Pointe Educational Services. Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (A)(4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board's attorneys concerning this item. Part 1 Part 2
- Discussion and possible action regarding Legacy Education Group, et al. v. Arizona State Board for Charter Schools (1 CA-CV 17-0023). Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item or for discussion or consultation with the Board’s attorneys in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the Board’s position in pending or contemplated litigation or in settlement discussions conducted in order to avoid or resolve litigation. Part 1 Part 2
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.