Regular Session - February 13, 2017
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, February 13, 2017
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Arizona State Board of Education – Presentation on the A-F Accountability System, Dr. Karol Schmidt, Executive Director
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update - Presentation on charters changing lives story and an update on A-F, the New Charter Application, and using data to drive policy- Dr. Ildi Laczko-Kerr, Chief Academic Officer
- A for Arizona - Presentation on Western School of Science and Technology: A Challenge Foundation Academy - Peter Boyle, Founding School Director
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Recognition of Jake Logan for his service as a Board member.
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc., Global Renaissance Academy of Distinguished Education, Hillcrest Academy, Inc., StarShine Academy, StrengthBuilding Partners
- Board Member Retreat
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- Consideration to approve the voluntary surrender agreement for Global Renaissance Academy of Distinguished Education
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on the Grade Levels Change to Charter Amendment Request submitted by Scottsdale Country Day School.
- Compliance Matters - The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that StarShine Academy continues to breach one or more provisions of its charter contract and state law regarding failure to timely submit the fiscal year ending June 30, 2016 annual financial audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach remains, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
- New Charter Application for 2018-2019 - Discussion and consideration of modifications to the New Charter Application and processes for the 2018-2019 application cycle.
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.