Regular Session - December 10, 2018
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 WEST JEFFERSON STREET
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 85007
The Board’s meeting room is located on the first floor of the Arizona Department of Education’s
building. Available parking in the garage located on 15th Avenue, south of Jefferson Street.
Monday, December 10, 2018
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
The meeting will begin on December 10, 2018 and resume on December 11, 2018 if there are additional agenda items requiring consideration and action.
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Superintendent’s Report - Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education
- Executive Director’s Report - Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Staffing changes
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Voluntary Surrender and Charter Termination Agreement for Camino Montessori
- Consideration to approve a change in legal status for LEAD Charter Schools dba Leading Edge Academy Queen Creek.
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on the expansion amendment requests from the following charter holders:
- Arizona Montessori Charter School at Anthem – Grade Level Change and Enrollment Cap Increase
- BASIS Charter Schools, Inc. (90841) – Enrollment Cap Increase
- Heritage Academy, Inc. – New School, Grade Level Change and Enrollment Cap Increase
- Financial Performance Framework - Presentation, discussion and possible action on moving forward with administrative rulemaking for implementing the financial performance framework proposed by the Board’s Financial Framework Subcommittee.
- Transparency Recommendations - Presentation, discussion and possible action on recommendations to promote transparency.
- Compliance Matters - The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the timeframes established for the timely submission of the annual financial audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-185(H).
First Year Late
- Center for Creative Education, Inc.
- Flagstaff Montessori, L.L.C.
- Montessori Day Public Schools, Chartered
- Park View School, Inc.
- PLC Arts Academy at Scottsdale, Inc.
- Vision Charter School, Inc.
- New Charter School Applications - Discussion and possible action on the following application packages and requests for a charter.
- A+ Charter Schools
- Abraham Lincoln Preparatory School: A Challenge Foundation Academy
- Alexander Hamilton Community School: A Challenge Foundation Academy
- ARCHES Academy Part 1 Part 2
- Arizona Online Academy, Inc.
- Executive Summary
- Recommendation Report & Scoring Rubric
- Interview Recording
- Copper State Academy of Business and Design
- Educational Models for Learning, Inc.
- Integrated Education Foundation, Inc.
- New Learning Ventures, Inc.
- Phoenix International Academy
- Somerset Academy Arizona, Inc.
- Valor Preparatory Academy, LLC
- Discussion and possible action regarding Legacy Education Group, et al. v. Arizona State Board for Charter Schools (1 CA-CV 17-0023). Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item or for discussion or consultation with the Board’s attorneys in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the Board’s position in pending or contemplated litigation or in settlement discussions conducted in order to avoid or resolve litigation. Part 1 Part 2
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas - The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.