Regular Session - April 8, 2013
D. Excel Preparatory Academy, Inc.– 1:00 P.M. Discussion and possible action to accept, reject or modify the Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Recommended Order of the Administrative Law Judge in regard to the Notice of Intent to Revoke (No. 13F-RV-001-BCS)
Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A) (3), the Board may vote to go into Executive Session which will not be open to the public, for the purposes of receiving legal advice.
E. Call to the Public – This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
F. Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Eileen Sigmund
G. Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
H. Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items—Discussion and possible action:
1. Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: DCS Partners, Inc., Excel Preparatory Academy, Inc., Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., New Destiny Leadership Charter School, Visions Unlimited Academy, Inc.
2. Legislative Update
3. NACSA Fellow Program Application
I. Consent Agenda - All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
1. Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests.
a. Camino Montessori – Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exception
b. Presidio School Inc. (Entity 90539) – Procurement Laws and USFRCS Exception
c. Skyline Gila River Schools, LLC – Change in Charter Mission
2. Consideration to approve the request for charter renewal and grant a renewal contract to Desert Springs Academy, Inc.
J. Charter Replication Application – Discussion and possible action on the replication application and request for a charter submitted for Ball Charter Schools (Hearn) to operate Ball Charter Schools (Westside).
K. Charter Renewal Application – Discussion and possible action on the renewal applications for the following:
1. Great Expectations Academy, Inc.
2. Painted Pony Ranch Charter School
3. Park View School, Inc.
4. Stepping Stones Academy
L. Surrender Agreement – Discussion and possible action on the Consent Agreement for the Voluntary Surrender and Termination of the Charter Contract for Nazlini Community School, Inc.
M. Transfer Application – Discussion and possible action on the transfer application submitted for Partnership with Parents, Inc.
N. Compliance Matters – Discussion and possible action.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law A.R.S. § 15-185(H) by withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan.
1. The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the following schools are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to submit the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012 annual financial single audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E)(6).
First Year Late
a. Harvest Power Community Development Group, Inc.
b. Omega Schools, Inc.
c. Yuma Private Industry Council, Inc.
2. The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the following schools are in breach of one or more provisions of their July 2012 settlement agreement, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to timely submit the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012 annual financial single audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law A.R.S. § 15-185(H) by withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan and/or deciding whether to hold a hearing to determine if a breach of the July 2012 settlement agreement has occurred and to revoke the charter contract.
a. El Centro for the Study of Primary and Secondary Education
b. Luz Academy of Tucson, Inc.
O. Replication Application – Discussion of a new Express Replication Application and proposed changes to the existing Replication Application.
P. Board Comments and Future Meeting Dates – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.