Regular Session- September 13, 2021
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Monday, September 13, 2021
- Pledge of Allegiance (Youtube at 11:00)
- Moment of Silence (Youtube at 12:05)
- Roll Call (Youtube at 13:00)
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education. (Youtube at 0:00)
- Executive Director’s Report (Youtube at 6:37)
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Staff Update
- Update on Board Staff’s plan to visit schools during school year 2021-2022
- Legislative and Policy Update
- Call to the Public (Youtube at 21:06)
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 5pm. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website on Friday, September 10, 2021.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the 5pm deadline on Thursday, September 9, 2021.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment virtually. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment virtually during the meeting are due to Board staff by Thursday, September 9 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 5pm.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. (Youtube at 21:20)
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on August 9, 2021.
- Consent Agreement—Consideration to approve the proposed Operational Consent Agreement for Montessori Education Centre Charter School.
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on an amendment request from the following charter holders: (Youtube at 22:20)
- Arizona Autism Charter Schools, Inc.—New School and Enrollment Cap Increase
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba El Dorado High School—Enrollment Cap Increase (Youtube at 39:38)
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. (Youtube at 1:10:35)
The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holder listed below is in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-182(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- Espiritu Community Development Corp (Entity ID: 4335)
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. (Youtube at 1:37:55)