Regular Session- October 18, 2021
Please see the agenda at the top of this webpage for the most current agenda and materials.
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Monday, October 18, 2021
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Arizona Department of Education (Youtube at 0:14)
- State Board of Education Presentation on Educator Discipline- HB2023 Implementation: Presentation by Alicia Williams, Executive Director of the Arizona State Board of Education on educator discipline - HB2023 implementation. (Youtube at 7:13)
- Executive Director’s Report (Youtube at 24:19)
- *Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on approved amendments and termination agreements
- Staff Update
Legislative and Policy Update
- Call to the Public (Youtube at 30:04)
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5pm. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website on Friday, October 15, 2021.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the 5pm deadline on Thursday, October 14, 2021.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment virtually. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment virtually during the meeting are due to Board staff by Thursday, October 14 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 5pm.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. (Youtube at 34:06)
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on September 13, 2021
- Consideration to approve the proposed 2022 Board Meeting Calendar
**Consent Agreements—Consideration to approve the proposed Audit Consent Agreements for the following charter holders: Akimel O’Otham Pee Posh Charter School, Inc. (Entity ID: 5978) Akimel O’Otham Pee Posh Charter School, Inc. (Entity ID: 78966)
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. (Youtube at 35:02)
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-182(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- Cambridge Academy East, Inc.
- Harvest Power Community Development Group, Inc.
- *Portable Practical Educational Preparation, Inc. (Entity ID: 87405)
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holder listed below is in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding its failure to operate a school under its charter contract during fiscal year 2022.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-182(I)(3).
- Pinnacle Education – Kino, Inc. - Discussion and possible action to accept, reject or modify the Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Recommended Order of the Administrative Law Judge in regard to the Notice of Intent to Revoke hearing of Charter (No. 20F-RV-002-BCS). Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item. (Youtube at 1:18:13)
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. (Youtube at 2:44:38)