Regular Session - November 21, 2016
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Monday, November 21, 2016
NOTICE AND AGENDA- REVISED*
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update on the 2016 Charter Award winners – Eileen Sigmund, President and CEO
- *Video Presentation – Governor Doug Ducey’s recent visit to Arizona Autism Charter School, Upper School Campus
- Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
- Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Founding Fathers Academies, Inc.; Hillcrest Academy, Inc.
- Executive Director Search Update
- State of Latino Arizona – Dr. Anabel Aportela, Director of Research, Arizona School Boards Association
- Consent Agenda – All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Consideration to approve charter holder amendment requests for the following:
- *Compliance Matters – Discussion and possible action.
- TheBoard will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the Charter Holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the timeframes established for the timely submission of the annual financial audit in accordance with A.R.S. §15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding of up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H).
First Year Late
- Ahwatukee Foothills Prep Early College High School, Inc.
- Camelback Education, Inc.
- Career Development, Inc.
- Desert Star Community School
- Florence Crittenton Services of Arizona, Inc.
- Franklin Phonetic Primary School, Inc. (Entity ID 4495)
- Franklin Phonetic Primary School, Inc. (Entity ID 92596)
- Global Renaissance Academy of Distinguished Education
- Graysmark Schools Corporation
- Imagine Elementary at Tempe, Inc.
- Imagine Middle at Surprise, Inc.
- Imagine Prep Surprise, Inc.
- Phoenix Advantage Charter School, Inc.
- PS Charter Schools, Inc.
- Southern Arizona Community Academy, Inc.
Second Consecutive Year Late
- Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc.
- Flagstaff Montessori, L.L.C.
- Juniper Tree Academy
- StarShine Academy
- StrengthBuilding Partners
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Life Skills Center of Arizona, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its January 2015 settlement agreement, federal, state, or local laws regarding its failure to timely submit the fiscal year ending June 30, 2016 annual financial audit in accordance with A.R.S. §15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law by withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. §15-185(H) and/or deciding whether to hold a hearing to determine if a breach of the January 2015 consent agreement has occurred and to revoke the charter contract.
- *Discussion and possible action regarding complaints forwarded to members of the Board regarding Academy of Excellence. Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item.
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.