Regular Session - November 20, 2020
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Accessing the Board Meeting:
To watch the Board meeting via computer or a smartphone with a data plan:
Click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkPbhlJyH-7N_Pw1hpI3nSA
Open a web browser on your device (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox).
Then, type or copy the above link into the address or search bar on your browser and press “Enter”.
To listen via phone (Please ensure your phone is muted during the meeting):
1 346 248 7799 US, (United States)
1 669 900 6833 US, (United States)
When prompted enter the following Meeting ID#: 957 5575 0060
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
Friday, November 20, 2020
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *REVISED
- Pledge of Allegiance - YouTube at 14:25
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call - YouTube at 14:50
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education - YouTube at 1:08:00
- Executive Director’s Report - YouTube at 1:13:50
- Brief update on Board staff responsibilities and work completed by each division
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update – Presentation and update on school responses to COVID-19 and charter school enrollment trends by Jake Logan - YouTube at 1:23:02
- Call to the Public - YouTube at 1:36:28
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 5pm. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website on Thursday, November 19th.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the 5pm deadline on November 18, 2020.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment during the meeting are due to Board staff by Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 5pm.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. - YouTube at 1:36:33
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on October 13, 2020.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Operational Consent Agreement for the following charter holders:
- Charter Amendments—Consideration to approve amendment requests from the following charter holder:
- Desert Star Academy, Inc.— Enrollment Cap
- Hirsch Academy: A Challenge Foundation Academy, Inc.—Charter Holder Governance Request
- Western School of Science and Technology: A Challenge Foundation Academy, Inc.—Charter Holder Governance Request
- Consideration to approve the proposed 2021 Board Meeting Calendar
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on amendment requests from the following charter holders: - YouTube at 1:37:46
- Good Cause Extensions—Discussion and possible action on requests for Good Cause Extensions from the following charter holders: - YouTube at 1:50:52
- Compliance Matters—The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F). - YouTube at 16:15
- Rulemaking—Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the approval to finalize the proposed changes to the Financial Performance Framework and other rules found in the Notice of Final Exempt Rulemaking. - YouTube at 1:57:52
- Communications Plan — Presentation and possible action on the Board’s Communications Plan for implementation in 2021. - YouTube at 2:01:06
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. - YouTube at 2:12:47