Regular Session - January 10, 2022
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
Monday January 10, 2022
- Pledge of Allegiance (Youtube at 0:56)
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call (Youtube at 1:35)
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Arizona Department of Education (Youtube at 2:37)
- Executive Director’s Report (Youtube at 5:52)
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on approved amendments and termination agreements
- Policy and legislative update
- Board member update
- Call to the Public
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 12:00:00 PM. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website (asbcs.az.gov) by Friday, January 7, 2022.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the deadline on Thursday, January 6 at 12:00 PM.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment virtually. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment virtually during the meeting are due to Board staff by Thursday, January 6 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 5pm.
- Election of Officers (Youtube at 11:16)
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. (Youtube at 12:44)
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on an amendment request from the following charter holders: (Youtube at 13:41)
- American Leadership Academy, Inc. – New School
- Flagstaff Montessori, L.L.C. — Charter Holder Status
- Humanities and Sciences Academy of the United States, Inc. – New School
- Charter Renewal - Discussion and possible action on the renewal application package from Scottsdale Preparatory Academy: (Youtube at 1:25:29)
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. (Youtube at 1:31:38)
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holder listed below is in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- Discussion and possible action regarding Joel D. Huber, et al. v. Arizona State Board of Accountancy, Arizona State Board for Charter Schools, et al. (CV2020-003863). Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion and consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item or for discussion or consultation with the Board’s attorneys in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the Board’s position in pending or contemplated litigation or in settlement discussions conducted in order to avoid or resolve litigation. (Youtube at 1:50:00)
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. (Youtube at 1:54:11)