Regular Session - January 10, 2017
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1616 West Adams Street, Suite 170
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
The Board's meeting room is located in the State Land Department building.
Access open parking east of the church on the southeast corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe
and in the visitor parking on the northwest corner of 16th Avenue and Monroe.
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call
- Call to the Public - This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
- Arizona Charter Schools Association Update - Presentation on the Center for Student Achievement and its Impact in Arizona Schools - Eileen Sigmund, President and CEO
- Arizona Alternative Education Consortium – Presentation on Funding Alternative Education in Arizona – Dr. Johnson Bia
- A for Arizona - Presentation on its Legislative Agenda – Becky Hill, Senior Policy Director
- Superintendent’s Report – Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education.
- Executive Director’s Report – Introduction to the agenda items and discussion and possible action:
- Status of charters with previous and/or on-going board actions: Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc., Founding Fathers Academies, Inc., Global Renaissance Academy of Distinguished Education, Graysmark Schools Corporation, Hillcrest Academy, Inc., StarShine Academy, StrengthBuilding Partners
- Update on School Improvement Plan Reviews
- Consent Agenda – All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member.
- Discussion and possible action regarding John Doe, et al. vs. Heritage Academy, Inc. et al. (CV16-03001-PHX-SPL). Pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.03(A)(3) and (4), the Board may vote to convene in executive session, which will not be open to the public, for discussion or consultation for legal advice with the Board’s attorneys concerning this item or for discussion or consultation with the Board’s attorneys in order to consider its position and instruct its attorneys regarding the Board’s position in pending or contemplated litigation or in settlement discussions conducted in order to avoid or resolve litigation concerning this item.
- Charter Amendment - Discussion and possible action on the amendment requests submitted by Canyon Rose Academy, Inc.: New School and Enrollment Cap Increase Amendment Requests.
- Final Rulemaking – Discussion and possible action on the Board’s Notice of Final Rulemaking.
- Compliance Matters – The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the following charter holders continue to breach one or more provisions of their charter contract and state law regarding failure to timely submit the fiscal year ending June 30, 2016 annual financial audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E)(6).
If the Board determines that a breach remains, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-183(I).
- Bradley Academy of Excellence, Inc.
- Graysmark Schools Corporation
- StarShine Academy
- StrengthBuilding Partners
- Election of Officers
- Approval of Minutes - Consideration to approve meeting minutes for:
- Executive Director Search Subcommittee - December 8, 2016
- Executive Director Search Subcommittee - December 8, 2016 Executive Session
- Regular Session - December 12, 2016 Executive Session
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas – The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary.