Regular Session - February 14, 2022
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
1535 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
Monday February 14, 2022
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call (Youtube at 0:00)
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Arizona Department of Education (Youtube at 1:10:50)
- Executive Director’s Report (Youtube at 1:14:45)
- Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on approved amendments, termination agreements, reviews, and training sessions conducted by Board staff
- Policy and legislative update
- Board member update
- Call to the Public (Youtube at 1:39)
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 12:00:00 p.m. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website (asbcs.az.gov) by Friday, February 11, 2022.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the deadline on Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 12:00 p.m.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment virtually. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment virtually during the meeting are due to Board staff by Thursday, January 6 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 5pm.
- Implementation of NAEA Exemplary Practice Presentation - Presentation on Implementation of NAEA Exemplary Practice at Ombudsman Educational Services by Wayne Tucker, Michael Goto, and Binky Jones (Youtube at 1:21:22)
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. (Youtube at 6:10)
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on January 10, 2022.
- Consideration to approve an extension to Candeo Schools Inc.’s deadline to submit a renewal application package.
- Accept the Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and the Recommended Decision of the Administrative Law Judge (Case No. 21F-RV-002-BCS) to revoke the charter contract between the Board and Fountain Hills Charter School, Inc.
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on an amendment request from the following charter holders:
- Financial Performance Report [A.A.C. R7-5-402(M)]—Presentation on the probation risk level assigned to each charter holder identified as “On Probation” after having received two consecutive “Intervention” ratings under the Board’s financial performance framework based on the fiscal years 2020 and 2021 audits. (Youtube at 7:17)
- Financial Performance Consent Agreement—Discussion and possible action on the proposed consent agreement for charter holders that do not meet the Board’s minimum financial performance expectations after having been identified as “On Probation” and assigned to Probation Risk Level One under the Board’s financial performance framework. (Youtube at 9:24)
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. (Youtube at 14:12)
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Park View School, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its charter contract and/or state law regarding its failure to meet the minimum financial performance expectations set forth in the Board’s financial performance framework after having been identified as “On Probation” and assigned to Probation Risk Level One.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter or entering into a consent agreement to bring the charter holder into compliance. A.R.S. § 15-183(I)(3); A.A.C. R7-5-402(I)(1).
- The Board will receive information to determine whether the information disclosed in CITY Center for Collaborative Learning’s fiscal year 2021 audit constitutes a failure by the charter holder to comply with its April 2021 Fingerprinting Consent Agreement such that action should be taken under the terms of that agreement. (Youtube at 1:48:32)
- New Charter Application for Schools Opening in 2023-2024—Discussion and consideration of modifications to the New Charter Application for the 2022-2023 application cycle. (Youtube at 2:12:16)
- Presentation, Discussion and Possible Action to Approve ASBCS Legislative Participation - Discussion and consideration to approve ASBCS staff participation during the 2022 legislative session. (Youtube at 2:14:37)
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. (Youtube at 2:19:57)