Regular Session- December 15, 2020
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Accessing the Board Meeting:
To watch the Board meeting via computer or a smartphone with a data plan:
Click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkPbhlJyH-7N_Pw1hpI3nSA
Open a web browser on your device (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox).
Then, type or copy the above link into the address or search bar on your browser and press “Enter”.
To listen via phone (Please ensure your phone is muted during the meeting):
1 346 248 7799 US, (United States)
1 669 900 6833 US, (United States)
When prompted enter the following Meeting ID#: 933 2586 2259
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *Revised
- Pledge of Allegiance - YouTube at 1:15
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call - YouTube at 1:38
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education - YouTube at 3:02
- Executive Director’s Report - YouTube at 10:56
- *A for Arizona – Presentation on the Innovation Fund microgrant with three of the awarded charter representatives speaking about their programs by Emily Anne Gullickson. - YouTube at 11:35
- Call to the Public - YouTube at 28:06
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Friday, December 11, 2020 at 5pm. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website on Monday, December 14th.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the 5pm deadline on December 11, 2020.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment during the meeting are due to Board staff by Friday, December 11, 2020 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Friday, December 11, 2020 at 5pm.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. - YouTube at 28:15
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on November 20, 2020.
- Charter Amendments—Consideration to approve amendment requests from the following charter holders:
- A+ Charter Schools—Charter Holder Governance Request
- Tucson Youth Development, Inc.—Charter Holder Governance Request
- Kaizen Education Foundation dba Mission Heights Preparatory High School—ECAP
- *Edkey, Inc. v. Arizona State Board for Charter Schools
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on an amendment request from the following charter holder: - YouTube at 29:44
- Charter Renewal - Discussion and possible action on renewal application package from Sage Academy, Inc. - YouTube at 33:35
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. - YouTube at 48:41
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holder listed below is in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that Shonto Governing Board of Education, Inc. is in breach of one or more provisions of its January 2017 consent agreement or state laws regarding its failure to establish and maintain proper internal controls for the self-insurance fund in the manner prescribed by the Uniform System of Financial Records for Arizona Charter Schools. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-185(H) and/or deciding whether to hold a hearing to determine if a breach of the January 2017 consent agreement has occurred and to revoke the charter contract.
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to timely submit the fiscal year 2020 annual financial audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E). If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include withholding up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid and requiring a corrective action plan, issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter, or entering into a consent agreement to bring the charter holder into compliance. A.R.S. § 15-185(H), A.A.C. R7-5-601(D).
First Year Late
- Flagstaff Montessori, L.L.C.
- Paramount Education Studies, Inc.
Second Consecutive Year Late
- Painted Desert Montessori, LLC
- New Charter Applications - Discussion and possible action on the following application packages and requests for a charter: - YouTube at 2:46:16
*Accel Online Arizona LLC
- Albert Einstein Academy
- Co-Learn Club, Inc.
- Intermountain Academy of Tucson, LLC
- Online School of Arizona
- Financial Performance Report [A.A.C. R7-5-402(M)]—Discussion and possible action on the report to the Board of the fiscal year 2019 audit performance and June 30, 2020 quarterly financial report performance by measure for each charter holder that does not meet the Board’s minimum financial performance expectations under A.A.C. R7-5-402(K). - YouTube at 6:16:26
- Rulemaking—Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the approval to finalize the proposed changes to the Rules for the Complaint process found in the Notice of Final Exempt Rulemaking. - YouTube at 6:18:54
- Change in Charter Control Amendment—Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the approval to finalize the proposed creation of a Change in Charter Control Amendment Request. - YouTube at 6:22:43
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. - YouTube at 6:25:12