Regular Session- August 9, 2021
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Accessing the Board Meeting:
To watch the Board meeting via computer or a smartphone with a data plan:
Click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkPbhlJyH-7N_Pw1hpI3nSA
Open a web browser on your device (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox).
Then, type or copy the above link into the address or search bar on your browser and press “Enter”.
To listen via phone (Please ensure your phone is muted during the meeting):
1 346 248 7799 US, (United States)
1 669 900 6833 US, (United States)
When prompted enter the following Meeting ID#: 938 7442 6837, Passcode: 197818
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Monday, August 9, 2021
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *Revised
- Pledge of Allegiance (Youtube at 14:41)
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call (Youtube at 15:51)
- Election of Officers (Youtube at 16:39)
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education (Youtube at 20:13)
- Executive Director’s Report (Youtube at 25:34)
- *Status of Board actions and legal matters
- Update on staff responsibilities
- Update on amendments approved
- Call to the Public (Youtube at 29:15)
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 5pm. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website on Friday, August 6, 2021.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the 5pm deadline on August 5, 2021.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment during the meeting are due to Board staff by Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 5pm.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. (Youtube at 29:29)
- Voluntary Surrender Agreements—Consideration to approve the following surrender agreements.
- Consent Agreements—Consideration to approve the proposed Operational Consent Agreement for:
- *Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board's meeting on June 7, 2021 and its special meeting on June 7, 2021.
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on an amendment request from the following charter holders: (Youtube at 30:59)
- Florence Crittenton Services of Arizona, Inc.—Charter Holder Status
- LEAD Charter Schools—Enrollment Cap Increase
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. (Youtube at 1:11:57)
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to timely submit the fiscal year 2020 audit in accordance with A.R.S. § 15-183(E).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter or entering into a consent agreement to bring the charter holder into compliance. A.R.S. § 15-183(I)(3), A.A.C. R7-5-601(D).
- Akimel O’Otham Pee Posh Charter School, Inc. (Entity ID 5978)
- Akimel O’Otham Pee Posh Charter School, Inc. (Entity ID 78966)
- Rulemaking—Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the approval to finalize the proposed changes to the Financial Performance Framework and other rules found in the Notice of Final Exempt Rulemaking. (Youtube at 1:47:52)
- Operational Framework and Audit Matrix—Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the adoption of the proposed audit-related changes to the Operational Performance Framework and proposed changes to the Board’s Audit & Compliance Questionnaire Follow-up Matrix. (Youtube at 1:52:02)
- Board President Approval of Voluntary Surrender Agreements – Discussion and possible action to allow the Board President to approve future Voluntary Surrender Agreements without full Board consideration. (Youtube at 1:54:24)
- *FY 2023 ASBCS Budget Request – Discussion and possible action to approve the Board’s FY2023 Budget Request and AZIPS submission. (Youtube at 1:58:12)
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. (Youtube at 2:20:23)