Regular Session - August 10, 2020
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Accessing the Board Meeting:
To watch the Board meeting via computer or a smartphone with a data plan:
Click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkPbhlJyH-7N_Pw1hpI3nSA
Open a web browser on your device (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox).
Then, type or copy the above link into the address or search bar on your browser and press “Enter”.
To listen via phone (Please ensure your phone is muted during the meeting):
Dial +1 301 715 8592 (United States)
When prompted enter the following Meeting ID#: 919 2153 9857
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
Monday, August 10, 2020
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *REVISED
- Pledge of Allegiance - YouTube at 8:34
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call - YouTube at 9:03
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education - YouTube at 9:48
- Executive Director’s Report - YouTube at 18:06
- Update on reopening of schools for school year 2020-2021.
- Call to the Public - YouTube at 24:16
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
All public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form only. All public comments are due to Board staff by Friday, August 7, 2020 at noon. Public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website by end of business on Friday, August 7th.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the noon deadline on August 7, 2020.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. - YouTube at 24:30
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on July 20, 2020.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Letter Grade Consent Agreement for AZ-Tec High School.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Surrender and Charter Termination Agreement for Lifelong Learning Research Institute, Inc. (Entity ID: 79926).
- Charter Amendments— Consideration to approve amendment requests from the following charter holders:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the East Valley – Charter Holder Governance Request
- Happy Valley East – Charter Holder Governance Request
- Happy Valley School, Inc. – Charter Holder Governance Request
- Heritage Academy Gateway, Inc. — Grade Level Change and Enrollment Cap
- Imagine Avondale Middle, Inc. — Enrollment Cap
- Little Lamb Community School – Charter Holder Governance Request
- Yuma Private Industry Council, Inc. – Charter Holder Governance Request
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on amendment requests from the following charter holders: - YouTube at 44:02
- CPLC Community Schools (Entity ID 90331) —Enrollment Cap
- Imagine Desert West Middle, Inc. —Enrollment Cap
- Liberty Traditional School — Arizona Online Instruction
- Lincoln Preparatory Academy — Enrollment Cap
- Southgate Academy, Inc. — Arizona Online Instruction
- Charter Replication Applications—Discussion and possible action on replication applications from the following charter holders: - YouTube at 1:30:12
- Legacy Traditional School – Deer Valley
- Legacy Traditional School - East Tucson
- Legacy Traditional School - Mesa
- Compliance Matters—The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holders listed below are in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework. If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F). - YouTube at 1:33:37
- November 15 Audit Deadline – Discussion and possible action on extending the November 15 submission deadline for fiscal year 2020 financial statement audit reporting packages. - YouTube at 2:34:24
- State Board for Charter School’s FY2022 Budget Request - Discussion and possible action on the Board’s budget request for FY2022. - YouTube at 2:37:40
- Schedule and Plan for Evaluating Charters pursuant to Executive Orders 2020-41 and 2020-51 - Discussion and possible action on the Board’s schedule and plan for evaluating Distance Learning Plans pursuant to Executive Order 2020-41 and requirements for reopening under Executive Order 2020-51. - YouTube at 2:57:15
- Compliance Statement of Assurances - Discussion and possible action on approving the Compliance Statement of Assurances to be submitted, at least annually, by each charter holder. - YouTube at 3:00:23
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. - YouTube at 3:03:01