Regular Session- April 12, 2021
Meeting Recording - Next to each agenda item is the time that agenda item begins in the YouTube recording.
ARIZONA STATE BOARD FOR CHARTER SCHOOLS
Accessing the Board Meeting:
To watch the Board meeting via computer or a smartphone with a data plan:
Click on the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkPbhlJyH-7N_Pw1hpI3nSA
Open a web browser on your device (Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox).
Then, type or copy the above link into the address or search bar on your browser and press “Enter”.
To listen via phone (Please ensure your phone is muted during the meeting):
1 346 248 7799 US, (United States)
1 669 900 6833 US, (United States)
When prompted enter the following Meeting ID#: 949 8318 4597, Passcode: 227847
For additional information on how to access the board meeting, please download the Notice and Agenda
Monday, April 12, 2021
NOTICE AND AGENDA - *Revised
- Pledge of Allegiance (Youtube at 12:32)
- Moment of Silence
- Roll Call (Youtube at 13:09)
- Introduction of Recently Appointed Board Members – Introduction of Mr. Timothy Stratton and Ms. Janelle Wood (Youtube at 16:40)
- Superintendent’s Report—Update on current events and/or activities of the Department of Education (Youtube at 20:43)
- Arizona Charter Schools Association - Presentation on current charter school research by Jake Logan and Kelly Powell (Youtube at 25:15)
- Executive Director’s Report (Youtube at 37:09)
- Call to the Public (Youtube at 43:28)
This is the time for the public to comment. Members of the Board may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the agenda. Therefore, pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.01(H), action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
Public comments for the meeting will be accepted in written form. All written public comments are due to Board staff by Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5pm. Written public comments will not be orally read into the record but will be posted publicly in the Board materials located on the Board’s website on Friday, April 9, 2021.
Two ways to submit written comment:
- Via Email: [email protected]
- Via Postal Service: P.O. Box 18328, Phoenix, Arizona 85005
- Please note that USPS mail takes time to be delivered. Please plan accordingly to make the 5pm deadline on April 8, 2021.
Individuals must submit a Call to the Public Request Form to provide a verbal public comment. All Request to Speak Forms to provide a verbal comment during the meeting are due to Board staff by Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5pm. Please use this Request to Speak Form to submit to the Board by Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 5pm.
- Consent Agenda—All items on this agenda will be considered by a single motion with no discussion, unless requested otherwise by a board member. (Youtube at 44:00)
- Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Charter Board’s meeting on February 8, 2021.
- Consideration to approve the proposed Surrender and Charter Termination Agreement for Painted Desert Montessori, LLC.
- Charter Amendments—Consideration to approve amendment requests from the following charter holders:
- Arizona Autism Charter Schools, Inc.—Enrollment Cap Increase
- Happy Valley East—Charter Holder Governance
- Happy Valley School, Inc.—Charter Holder Governance
- Charter Amendments—Discussion and possible action on an amendment request from the following charter holder: (Youtube at 45:22)
- Archway Classical Academy Trivium West—Arizona Online Instruction
- Eduprize Schools, LLC—Arizona Online Instruction
- Ombudsman Educational Services, Ltd., a subsidiary of Educational Services of America—Arizona Online Instruction
- Phoenix Education Management, LLC—Change in Charter Control
- West Gilbert Charter Middle School, Inc.—Arizona Online Instruction
- West Gilbert Charter Middle School, Inc.—Grade Level Increase
- Charter Renewal - Discussion and possible action on renewal application packages from the following charter holders: (Youtube at 2:14:12)
- Arete Preparatory Academy (Youtube at 54:40)
- Freedom Academy, Inc.
- Compliance Matters—Discussion and possible action. (Youtube at 2:32:14)
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that the charter holder listed below is in breach of one or more provisions of their charter contract, and/or federal, state, or local laws regarding their failure to meet the operational performance expectations set forth in the Board’s operational performance framework.
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter pursuant to A.R.S. 15-183(I)(3) and A.A.C. R7-5-403(F).
- The Board will receive information to determine whether evidence exists that CITY Center for Collaborative Learning is in noncompliance with state law and its charter contract for failure to comply with fingerprinting requirements prescribed in A.R.S. § 15-183(C)(5).
If the Board determines that a breach may have occurred, the Board may take action as it deems appropriate or necessary under state law, which may include issuing a notice of intent to revoke the charter or entering into a consent agreement to bring the charter holder into compliance. A.R.S. § 15-183(I)(3), A.A.C. R7-5-601(D).
- AOI Amendment Revisions — Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the approval to finalize proposed changes to the instructions and evaluation criteria for Arizona Online Instruction amendment requests. (Youtube at 3:26:06)
- Probation Risk Levels — Discussion, possible action and the second opportunity for public comment on the probation risk levels (previously referred to as the overall financial risk levels) that will be used by the Board, after being placed in the Board’s administrative rules, to determine the appropriate action to take when a charter holder does not meet the Board’s financial performance expectations. (Youtube at 3:29:53)
- Financial Intervention Site Visit Waiver — Discussion and possible action on granting a waiver for Board staff to conduct the student count visits required under A.A.C. R7-5-509(L) of schools operated by charter holders placed in financial Intervention Tier 1 during the fiscal year 2019 audit intervention cycle in light of the pandemic and its impact on in-person instruction. (Youtube at 03:34:32)
- Summary of Current Events, Future Meeting Dates and Items for Future Agendas—The executive director, presiding officer or a member of the Board may present a brief summary of current events pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02(K) and may discuss future meeting dates and direct staff to place matters on a future agenda. The Board will not discuss or take action on any current event summary. (Youtube at 3:38:49)